Many people resist changing phones because they are worried their data is locked to the platform they are on, but it is possible to transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone. This means that, for your WhatsApp messages at least, you can move phones knowing that you won’t lose any important messages, whether it’s important contact details, things you mustn’t forget or just shared photos of special memories.
This article will cover some of the ways that you can transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone. There are many different methods to back up your messages from WhatsApp, but it’s not always quite so easy to transfer them to another device. And while there are lots of solutions many will have drawbacks that might make them unsuitable for your needs. By exploring the different methods and how they work you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Part 1 Can A Backup Be Used to Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone?
The very short answer is no! The slightly longer answer is that although you can back up WhatsApp from Android, you cannot use that backup in an iPhone.
The main reason behind this is that Android and iPhone devices have different file structures and that WhatsApp app uses them differently. If you back up from an Android device, it replicates the database from WhatsApp on your Google Drive. You can actually see the same WhatsApp database if you attach your Android device to a computer.
While Android devices can act as an external storage device, iOS devices limit their use as an external drive. You can move files to and from a connected iPhone, but not all apps have or use directories that are accessible this way. Unfortunately, WhatsApp stores its database in a part of the storage hidden to users, so it’s not possible to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone in this way.
Part 2 Can You Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone using Email?
While you can save WhatsApp chats via email, and then access those chats on your iPhone, it isn’t really transferred. Instead, you are creating a copy of messages that you can read again, but they won’t be in WhatsApp.
To save your chats this way is simple.
- 1In a conversation you want to save, tap the three dots, click 'More' and click 'Export chat'.
- 2You will then be presented with the conversation attached as a text file. You can email this to yourself and manage the text file however you want, whether it’s just leaving it in your email app for reference, saving the files or even copying the chats into another document and read them on your iPhone.
This method has a lot of drawbacks.
- First, you have to do it for each chat. This might be fine if you only have a few chats you want to save, but most users will have dozens of chats and emailing them all will be very time-consuming.
- Second, it may take a long time to export if you choose export WhatsApp with media.
- Third, and final, you can’t import these messages back into WhatsApp, so although you will have saved them, it isn’t really a true transfer.
Part 3 How to Transfer WhatsApp from Old Android to New iPhone (Direct & Easy)?
We recommend ChatMover to transfer WhatsApp data from your old Android phone to your new iPhone because it’s safe, easy and puts you in control. It supports direct WhatsApp transfer without OS limitation, such as from Android to iOS 15.
ChatMover is the easiest way to move all your WhatsApp messages and attachments between any device. The app offers a one-click operation to safely transfer everything between your devices, making sure that you don’t lose anything, and your WhatsApp experience will be seamless. And it will work with any device, even the latest iPhone 12 running on iOS 15.
ChatMover offer several advantages over other methods of transferring your messages.
- It is completely safe. ChatMover never deletes anything, so your messages will be untouched until you decide to delete them from your old device. And all messages are transferred locally, they are never transmitted to the cloud, so there’s no risk of them being leaked or lost.
- It’s incredibly easy to use. All you need to do is connect your phones to your computer and click one button. You don’t have to use multiple apps, log in and out of cloud services or change settings or configurations.
- It transfers everything. ChatMover can handle everything in your WhatsApp database, it doesn’t just transfer the chats or ignore some file types. Everything on your old phone will be on your new iPhone, so your WhatsApp experience will be the same on both devices.
- ChatMover does more than just transfer. You can use it to keep multiple backups of your database, or as a WhatsApp viewer where you can read old messages or export them in a variety of formats.
Using ChatMover to move your WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone with is easy.
- 1Connect your devices to your computer.
- 2Follow the on-screen instructions.
- 3Click the “Transfer” button and wait for the transfer to complete.
ChatMover is simply the quickest, easiest and safest way to move your entire chat history to a new phone.
Part 4 Are There Other Tools to Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone?
Yes. There are lots of applications on the market that will transfer your data. However, many have limitations that you might want to consider before using them.
One popular application is WazzapMigrator but, despite the name, it can only transfer from iPhone to Android. iCareFone works with iPhones, so you can use it to transfer WhatsApp to any new iPhones or Android devices from an iPhone. However, it cannot transfer your data from an Android device to a new device.
ChatMover is the most powerful option for your important WhatsApp data. It can easily transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone, but also boasts features that mean it will be useful for long after. Whether it’s transferring your WhatsApp to new phones in the future, or keeping and examine backups on your computer, so you know your data is safe. ChatMover will do it all.