Pokémon GO has taken on the Internet very rapidly as the game provides users with unmatched graphics with buttery smooth animations. The cherry on the top is that it works on most of the device s, whether high end or low end, due to its relatively small size.
However, during the process of playing, the failed to detect location error pops up sometimes, keeps players from enjoying this masterpiece. Today we will completely solve the Pokémon GO failed to detect location error by telling you the most probable reasons behind it and how to solve them.
Part 1. Reasons for "Failed to Detect Location" Error
Reason 1 - Location Services Are Disabled
One apparent reason for Pokémon GO failed to detect location error is that the location services on your device are off.
This will make the game unplayable as its core concept is walking and finding Pokémon. But once the location services are completely disabled, the game can't detect whether you are in motion or not and hence present you with this error.
Reason 2 - Mock Location Feature Is Enabled
The second most common reason for this error is that the mock location feature is enabled on your device for some reason. This can occur if you have used any location spoofing app to play the game without going outside.
Reason 3 - Location Spoofer Issue
The final and famous reason for failed to detect location error is the use of location spoofing in the game.
Applications that claim to spoof your location in Pokémon GO often do not work as well as you want them to be, and instead of enabling you to play the game from the comfort of your couch, they result in this error sometimes, which worsens your in-game experience.
Part 2. How to Fix "Failed to Detect Location" Error
Fix 1 - Enable Location Services
The first solution for this error is to enable location services on your device.
Here's how to enable location services on iOS devices:
- 1Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- 2Toggle on the "Location Services" option.
Here's how to enable location services on Android devices:
- 1Go to Settings > Location.
- 2Turn this option on.
If you are on Android 9.0 or above, the steps mentioned above would be acceptable to get your error solved. But for Android versions before Android 9.0, a few extra steps need to be done to solve the failed to detect location error. After turning on the location toggle, you will see four options in front of you. Choose High Accuracy mode from those options, and hopefully, your error will get fixed.
After following the steps mentioned above, try to play the game again. If the error persists, proceed to the fixes mentioned below.
Fix 2 - Disable Mock Location Feature on Your Device
This fix is only for Android devices. If you own an iOS device, directly skip to Fix 3.
To disable mock location feature on your Android device, you first have to enable developer options in your device. To do so, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- 1Go to Settings > About phone > Software information.
- 2Find an option called "Build number". You have to tap it seven times to successfully enable developer options. (For MIUI devices, instead of the build number, you have to tap the MIUI version about 7-10 times to enable the developer options.)
- 3Now you'll see "Developer options" in Settings. Scroll down and navigate to "Select mock location app". It should say no mock location app set. If it says something else, tap on it and select the option "nothing" in it.
Now try to play the game again. If it still shows failed to detect location 12 error, then proceed to the next step.
Fix 3 - Log Out of the Game
Often some features of the game get stuck. They can be fixed with simply logging out and logging in again. You can follow the steps below to log out from Pokémon GO:
- 1Look for a red and white Poke Ball at the bottom of your screen, then open it.
- 2On the top right corner, click the Settings option.
- 3Search for the sign-out button and press it. You will reach the welcome screen of your game. Just log in again here.
Fix 4 - Clear the Game Data
During the process of running, the app may collect some caches and data. When they stay in our device for too long, the overall performance of the game may get affected and thus the failed to detect location error. Therefore to fix the error, clearing the game data is worth trying.
- 1Go to Settings > Apps > Pokémon GO.
- 2Scroll down and search for an option named "Storage". Clear cache and data on this page.
Fix 5 - Restart/Reboot Your Device
Sometimes simply restarting the device can solve minor issues.
On Android devices, press and hold the power button (generally on the top or right side of the device), then select "Restart".
On iOS devices:
- 1For iPhone X/11/12, press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off the device. Then press and hold the side button to turn it back on.
- 2For iPhone SE (2nd generation)/8/7/6, press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider, turn it off, then press and hold the side button to turn it on.
- 3For iPhone SE (1st generation)/5/earlier, press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider, turn it off, then press and hold the top button again to turn it on.
Part 3. Faking GPS on Pokémon GO Perfectly With TailorGo
After fixing the annoying failed to detect location error, you will be able to enjoy Pokémon GO again. But as this is a location-based game, you have to go out and walk through the city to find Pokémon. This may become another problem when it's just inconvenient for you to spend time moving around.
Is there any method we can take to ensure our in-game experience while save the trouble of making physical movements? Luckily, there is. Here we have brought you a solution to this problem, TailorGo .
TailorGo is a premium program specially designed to spoof location. By changing GPS location in some simple clicks, it helps you to play your favourite AR games like Pokémon GO from the comfort of your home. Besides, it can simulate GPS movement so you can move in the game virtually in an easy way without any efforts actually.
- Change your GPS location to anywhere in the world instantly.
- Simulate GPS movement along customized routes with planned speed and direction.
- Useful to almost all location-based apps, such as Grindr, Life360, Facebook and Pokémon GO.
- Simple steps and clear interface is friendly to every user.
- 100% safe and free of any kind of virus.
- Support both Android and iOS devices (including those running on iOS 15).
- Free trial available for new beginner.
- 1 Download, install and launch TailorGo on your computer. Then get your device connected and click the "Get Started" button.
- 2 There are 3 different modes: Teleport Mode, Navigation Route Mode and Straight Routes Mode. To simply change location, choose the 1st one and select the destination. To simulate GPS movement, choose either the 2nd or 3rd one, then plan a route to move along.
- 3 Your location will be changed easily; or the movement will be completed in no time.
We have told you everything about Pokémon GO failed to detect location error, including its causes and solutions. After following the guide mentioned above, you will be able to play your game smoothly.
But normally the game requires you to roam through the city to find Pokémons. If you don't want to perform the extra effort, you can use TailorGo to spoof location in the game. It is the best tool available in the market which is fast, secure and easy to use.